Sunday, December 6, 2009

The benifits of reciting Soreh Al-Fatiha

 Surah al-Fatihah is a cure for physical and also spiritual ailments. Without this surah, even the daily prayers are incomplete or not valid. It is indeed a great treasure that has been given to us by Allah (S.W.T) through the Holy Prophet (S.A.W.W) and no previous prophet has been given anything like it. This surah is also known as 'Ummul Kitab’


 In the commentary of Majma'ul Bayan it is narrated that the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.) said that "whoever recites this surah, he will get the reward for reciting two thirds (2/3) of the whole Qur'an, and will get the reward equivalent to what would be gained by giving charity to all the believing men and women in the world."


 Imam Ja'far as-Sadiq (A.S.) has said that "whoever cannot be cured by surah al-Fatihah, then there is no cure for that person. In the same narration it is written that if this surah is recited 70 times on any part of the body that is paining, the pain will surely go away. In fact, the power of this surah is so great that it is said that if one were to recite it 70 times over a dead body, you should not become surprised if that body starts moving (i.e. comes back to life)."


 The Holy Prophet (s.a.w.w) once asked Jabir ibn Abdullah e Ansari, "Should I teach you a surah that has no other comparison to it in the whole Qur'an?" Jabir replied, "Yes, and may my parents be ransom upon you O prophet of Allah." So the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.w) taught him surah al-Fatihah. Then the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.) asked, "Jabir, should I tell you something about this surah?" Jabir answered, "Yes, and may my parents be ransom upon you O prophet of Allah". The Prophet (s.a.w.w) said, "It (surah al-Fatihah) is a cure for every ailment except death."


The benefits of reciting Surah Fatiha are described in the following hadith of the Holy Prophet Muhammad: 

 Hazrat Abu Huraira has heard God's messenger declare that "God most high had said, " I have divided the prayer into two halves between me and my servant, and my servant will receive what he asks."

When the servant says, "Praise be to God, the Lord of the universe, " God most high says, " My servant has praised me."

When he says, "The compassionate, the Merciful," God most high says, "My servant has lauded me."

When he says, "Possessor of the day of judgment," He says," My servant has glorified me."

When he says, "Thee do we worship and of Thee do we ask help," He says, "This is between me and my servant, and my servant will receive what he asks."

Then when he says, "Guide us in the straight path, the path of those to whom Thou art generous, not of those with whom Thou art angry nor of those who go astray," He says, "This is for my servant, and my servant will receive what he asks." (Mishkat al Masabih)